Updated Jun 29, 2011 - 11:42 am
Wily Mo Pena has an odd ritual
Wily Mo Pena is quickly turning into a cult hero in the Valley. He's one of those guys who fans love because he's quirky, has an interesting back story and is in the midst of a hot streak. But why is Wily crushing balls like college kids crush empty cans? His secret might surprise you (OK, we're not sure it's his secret but we are sure you'll be surprised by it).
Thanks to our friends at AwfulAnnouncing.com, we have video proof that prior to his walk-off home run Wily decided to hauk-a-loogie into his batting helmet and then place it on his head.
We're not sure if it's some sort of good luck ritual or if Wily was just trying to make sure his helmet remained firmly on his head while he rounded the bases. What we are sure of is that if the results are him hitting mammoth home runs we don't care what he does (including putting golf club covers on his bat or sacrificing a bucket of chicken before the game).
Thanks Wily for the entertainment.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.