Updated Jun 29, 2011 - 11:42 am
Wily Mo Pena has an odd ritual
Wily Mo Pena is quickly turning into a cult hero in the Valley. He's one of those guys who fans love because he's quirky, has an interesting back story and is in the midst of a hot streak. But why is Wily crushing balls like college kids crush empty cans? His secret might surprise you (OK, we're not sure it's his secret but we are sure you'll be surprised by it).
Thanks to our friends at AwfulAnnouncing.com, we have video proof that prior to his walk-off home run Wily decided to hauk-a-loogie into his batting helmet and then place it on his head.
We're not sure if it's some sort of good luck ritual or if Wily was just trying to make sure his helmet remained firmly on his head while he rounded the bases. What we are sure of is that if the results are him hitting mammoth home runs we don't care what he does (including putting golf club covers on his bat or sacrificing a bucket of chicken before the game).
Thanks Wily for the entertainment.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.