Wily Mo Pena has an odd ritual
Wily Mo Pena is quickly turning into a cult hero in the Valley. He's one of those guys who fans love because he's quirky, has an interesting back story and is in the midst of a hot streak. But why is Wily crushing balls like college kids crush empty cans? His secret might surprise you (OK, we're not sure it's his secret but we are sure you'll be surprised by it).
Thanks to our friends at AwfulAnnouncing.com, we have video proof that prior to his walk-off home run Wily decided to hauk-a-loogie into his batting helmet and then place it on his head.
We're not sure if it's some sort of good luck ritual or if Wily was just trying to make sure his helmet remained firmly on his head while he rounded the bases. What we are sure of is that if the results are him hitting mammoth home runs we don't care what he does (including putting golf club covers on his bat or sacrificing a bucket of chicken before the game).
Thanks Wily for the entertainment.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.