Updated Aug 23, 2011 - 11:59 am
Diamondbacks trade Kelly Johnson to Toronto for Aaron Hill
The Arizona Diamondbacks made a move Tuesday, as Sports 620 KTAR's John Gambadoro reports the D-backs are sending Kelly Johnson to Toronto for shortstop John McDonald and second baseman Aaron Hill.
Johnson has struggled in his second season with the Diamondbacks, posting a .209 average with 18 home runs and 49 RBI.
He's seen his playing time -- and role -- diminish as the season has worn on, and with his contract expiring at the end of the year chances are he was not going to be brought back anyway.
Replacing Johnson is the 29-year-old Hill, who is hitting just .225 with six home runs and 45 RBI. He is one season removed from a 26 home run effort, and two from a 36 homer, 108 RBI campaign.
The other piece of the deal is the veteran McDonald, who has played parts of 13 Major League seasons with Cleveland, Detroit and Toronto. He's a career .240 hitter and will likely be used to give Willie Bloomquist the occasional day off.
McDonald's contract expires after this season while Hill has an $8 million team option with a $1 million buyout.
The Diamondbacks have to be hoping adding Hill will be just the shot in the arm their struggling lineup needs, as the team has scored just seven runs over its past six games -- all losses.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.