Updated Aug 23, 2011 - 11:59 am
Diamondbacks trade Kelly Johnson to Toronto for Aaron Hill
The Arizona Diamondbacks made a move Tuesday, as Sports 620 KTAR's John Gambadoro reports the D-backs are sending Kelly Johnson to Toronto for shortstop John McDonald and second baseman Aaron Hill.
Johnson has struggled in his second season with the Diamondbacks, posting a .209 average with 18 home runs and 49 RBI.
He's seen his playing time -- and role -- diminish as the season has worn on, and with his contract expiring at the end of the year chances are he was not going to be brought back anyway.
Replacing Johnson is the 29-year-old Hill, who is hitting just .225 with six home runs and 45 RBI. He is one season removed from a 26 home run effort, and two from a 36 homer, 108 RBI campaign.
The other piece of the deal is the veteran McDonald, who has played parts of 13 Major League seasons with Cleveland, Detroit and Toronto. He's a career .240 hitter and will likely be used to give Willie Bloomquist the occasional day off.
McDonald's contract expires after this season while Hill has an $8 million team option with a $1 million buyout.
The Diamondbacks have to be hoping adding Hill will be just the shot in the arm their struggling lineup needs, as the team has scored just seven runs over its past six games -- all losses.
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.