Updated Aug 23, 2011 - 11:59 am
Diamondbacks trade Kelly Johnson to Toronto for Aaron Hill
The Arizona Diamondbacks made a move Tuesday, as Sports 620 KTAR's John Gambadoro reports the D-backs are sending Kelly Johnson to Toronto for shortstop John McDonald and second baseman Aaron Hill.
Johnson has struggled in his second season with the Diamondbacks, posting a .209 average with 18 home runs and 49 RBI.
He's seen his playing time -- and role -- diminish as the season has worn on, and with his contract expiring at the end of the year chances are he was not going to be brought back anyway.
Replacing Johnson is the 29-year-old Hill, who is hitting just .225 with six home runs and 45 RBI. He is one season removed from a 26 home run effort, and two from a 36 homer, 108 RBI campaign.
The other piece of the deal is the veteran McDonald, who has played parts of 13 Major League seasons with Cleveland, Detroit and Toronto. He's a career .240 hitter and will likely be used to give Willie Bloomquist the occasional day off.
McDonald's contract expires after this season while Hill has an $8 million team option with a $1 million buyout.
The Diamondbacks have to be hoping adding Hill will be just the shot in the arm their struggling lineup needs, as the team has scored just seven runs over its past six games -- all losses.
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.