Updated Aug 23, 2011 - 11:59 am
Diamondbacks trade Kelly Johnson to Toronto for Aaron Hill
The Arizona Diamondbacks made a move Tuesday, as Sports 620 KTAR's John Gambadoro reports the D-backs are sending Kelly Johnson to Toronto for shortstop John McDonald and second baseman Aaron Hill.
Johnson has struggled in his second season with the Diamondbacks, posting a .209 average with 18 home runs and 49 RBI.
He's seen his playing time -- and role -- diminish as the season has worn on, and with his contract expiring at the end of the year chances are he was not going to be brought back anyway.
Replacing Johnson is the 29-year-old Hill, who is hitting just .225 with six home runs and 45 RBI. He is one season removed from a 26 home run effort, and two from a 36 homer, 108 RBI campaign.
The other piece of the deal is the veteran McDonald, who has played parts of 13 Major League seasons with Cleveland, Detroit and Toronto. He's a career .240 hitter and will likely be used to give Willie Bloomquist the occasional day off.
McDonald's contract expires after this season while Hill has an $8 million team option with a $1 million buyout.
The Diamondbacks have to be hoping adding Hill will be just the shot in the arm their struggling lineup needs, as the team has scored just seven runs over its past six games -- all losses.
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.