Updated Aug 25, 2011 - 10:11 am
The Arizona Diamondbacks have the San Fransisco Giants rattled
It's not just the national media who is starting to take notice of the Arizona Diamondbacks. The defending world champion San Fransisco Giants are too.
According to D-backs president Derrick Hall, the Giants are concerned enough about his team to attempt to stop them from making deals before the August 31 waiver deadline.
"Coming off of a 97 loss season it's nice that the Giants are taking us serious and are worried about us," Hall told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Thursday morning. "They put claims on almost all of our guys to block other teams from making deals with us. So we are in their heads a little bit which is nice to see."
Why are the D-backs in the Giants' heads and in sole possession of first place in the NL West? Hall gives the credit to a motley crew of key players who are having solid seasons for the D-backs.
"If you talk about our MVP it's Justin Upton or Ian Kennedy," Hall said. "I also look around the entire field and one guy that never gets talked about is Garardo Parra. He's hitting close to .300 all season. Doing the little things. He gets multiple hit games with no one really paying attention. Miguel Montero has been having a great season. Ryan Roberts has really been the heart of that team."
Hall's team will need all of those guys to step up and perform as well -- if not better -- than they have all season if they want to retain the division lead and make the postseason. While their current road trip hasn't exactly be stellar, Hall understands how important it was to return home with the lead in the NL West still intact and sees good things on the horizon.
"We said if we can finish this road trip and still be in first place look out, we've got something. Now we're closer to September and things are really going to heat up."
It certainly will, as long as the D-backs' backs heat up. So far in August they're hitting just .221. If that doesn't improve, the team could be in trouble with two three-game series against the Giants in the final month.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.