Updated Aug 25, 2011 - 10:11 am
The Arizona Diamondbacks have the San Fransisco Giants rattled
It's not just the national media who is starting to take notice of the Arizona Diamondbacks. The defending world champion San Fransisco Giants are too.
According to D-backs president Derrick Hall, the Giants are concerned enough about his team to attempt to stop them from making deals before the August 31 waiver deadline.
"Coming off of a 97 loss season it's nice that the Giants are taking us serious and are worried about us," Hall told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Thursday morning. "They put claims on almost all of our guys to block other teams from making deals with us. So we are in their heads a little bit which is nice to see."
Why are the D-backs in the Giants' heads and in sole possession of first place in the NL West? Hall gives the credit to a motley crew of key players who are having solid seasons for the D-backs.
"If you talk about our MVP it's Justin Upton or Ian Kennedy," Hall said. "I also look around the entire field and one guy that never gets talked about is Garardo Parra. He's hitting close to .300 all season. Doing the little things. He gets multiple hit games with no one really paying attention. Miguel Montero has been having a great season. Ryan Roberts has really been the heart of that team."
Hall's team will need all of those guys to step up and perform as well -- if not better -- than they have all season if they want to retain the division lead and make the postseason. While their current road trip hasn't exactly be stellar, Hall understands how important it was to return home with the lead in the NL West still intact and sees good things on the horizon.
"We said if we can finish this road trip and still be in first place look out, we've got something. Now we're closer to September and things are really going to heat up."
It certainly will, as long as the D-backs' backs heat up. So far in August they're hitting just .221. If that doesn't improve, the team could be in trouble with two three-game series against the Giants in the final month.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.