Updated Aug 25, 2011 - 10:11 am
The Arizona Diamondbacks have the San Fransisco Giants rattled
It's not just the national media who is starting to take notice of the Arizona Diamondbacks. The defending world champion San Fransisco Giants are too.
According to D-backs president Derrick Hall, the Giants are concerned enough about his team to attempt to stop them from making deals before the August 31 waiver deadline.
"Coming off of a 97 loss season it's nice that the Giants are taking us serious and are worried about us," Hall told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Thursday morning. "They put claims on almost all of our guys to block other teams from making deals with us. So we are in their heads a little bit which is nice to see."
Why are the D-backs in the Giants' heads and in sole possession of first place in the NL West? Hall gives the credit to a motley crew of key players who are having solid seasons for the D-backs.
"If you talk about our MVP it's Justin Upton or Ian Kennedy," Hall said. "I also look around the entire field and one guy that never gets talked about is Garardo Parra. He's hitting close to .300 all season. Doing the little things. He gets multiple hit games with no one really paying attention. Miguel Montero has been having a great season. Ryan Roberts has really been the heart of that team."
Hall's team will need all of those guys to step up and perform as well -- if not better -- than they have all season if they want to retain the division lead and make the postseason. While their current road trip hasn't exactly be stellar, Hall understands how important it was to return home with the lead in the NL West still intact and sees good things on the horizon.
"We said if we can finish this road trip and still be in first place look out, we've got something. Now we're closer to September and things are really going to heat up."
It certainly will, as long as the D-backs' backs heat up. So far in August they're hitting just .221. If that doesn't improve, the team could be in trouble with two three-game series against the Giants in the final month.
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.