Updated Sep 1, 2011 - 2:08 pm
Randy Johnson to return as a Diamondbacks coach?
"I've been in touch with [Kirk Gibson] on multiple occasions this year, and even reached out to a couple of the pitchers behind closed doors," the Big Unit told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "Had conversations with them just to kind of have my input, so I'm not that far from getting back in the game."
Does that mean the future hall of famer will soon pursue a career in coaching, maybe with the Diamondbacks?
It would appear to be the case, because while Johnson said he's enjoying his time traveling and being somewhat away from the game, he knows where his future likely lies.
"The time will come that I'll get out to Spring Training and help these kids, or at least see if they want some help, and give my opinions and a lot of times probably just watch," he said.
Of all the players that have worn a D-backs uniform over the years, Johnson seemed like one of the least likely to end up coaching at some point.
Then again, you don't win 303 games, post a career ERA of 3.29 while striking out 4,875 hitters and tally five Cy Young awards without some sort of ability and knowledge, and at the very least it couldn't hurt to have Johnson around and teaching.
Unless, of course, he's throwing batting practice and gets a little wild.
That could hurt.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.