Updated Sep 1, 2011 - 2:08 pm
Randy Johnson to return as a Diamondbacks coach?
"I've been in touch with [Kirk Gibson] on multiple occasions this year, and even reached out to a couple of the pitchers behind closed doors," the Big Unit told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "Had conversations with them just to kind of have my input, so I'm not that far from getting back in the game."
Does that mean the future hall of famer will soon pursue a career in coaching, maybe with the Diamondbacks?
It would appear to be the case, because while Johnson said he's enjoying his time traveling and being somewhat away from the game, he knows where his future likely lies.
"The time will come that I'll get out to Spring Training and help these kids, or at least see if they want some help, and give my opinions and a lot of times probably just watch," he said.
Of all the players that have worn a D-backs uniform over the years, Johnson seemed like one of the least likely to end up coaching at some point.
Then again, you don't win 303 games, post a career ERA of 3.29 while striking out 4,875 hitters and tally five Cy Young awards without some sort of ability and knowledge, and at the very least it couldn't hurt to have Johnson around and teaching.
Unless, of course, he's throwing batting practice and gets a little wild.
That could hurt.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.