Randy Johnson to return as a Diamondbacks coach?
"I've been in touch with [Kirk Gibson] on multiple occasions this year, and even reached out to a couple of the pitchers behind closed doors," the Big Unit told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "Had conversations with them just to kind of have my input, so I'm not that far from getting back in the game."
Does that mean the future hall of famer will soon pursue a career in coaching, maybe with the Diamondbacks?
It would appear to be the case, because while Johnson said he's enjoying his time traveling and being somewhat away from the game, he knows where his future likely lies.
"The time will come that I'll get out to Spring Training and help these kids, or at least see if they want some help, and give my opinions and a lot of times probably just watch," he said.
Of all the players that have worn a D-backs uniform over the years, Johnson seemed like one of the least likely to end up coaching at some point.
Then again, you don't win 303 games, post a career ERA of 3.29 while striking out 4,875 hitters and tally five Cy Young awards without some sort of ability and knowledge, and at the very least it couldn't hurt to have Johnson around and teaching.
Unless, of course, he's throwing batting practice and gets a little wild.
That could hurt.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer