Updated Sep 1, 2011 - 2:08 pm
Randy Johnson to return as a Diamondbacks coach?
"I've been in touch with [Kirk Gibson] on multiple occasions this year, and even reached out to a couple of the pitchers behind closed doors," the Big Unit told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "Had conversations with them just to kind of have my input, so I'm not that far from getting back in the game."
Does that mean the future hall of famer will soon pursue a career in coaching, maybe with the Diamondbacks?
It would appear to be the case, because while Johnson said he's enjoying his time traveling and being somewhat away from the game, he knows where his future likely lies.
"The time will come that I'll get out to Spring Training and help these kids, or at least see if they want some help, and give my opinions and a lot of times probably just watch," he said.
Of all the players that have worn a D-backs uniform over the years, Johnson seemed like one of the least likely to end up coaching at some point.
Then again, you don't win 303 games, post a career ERA of 3.29 while striking out 4,875 hitters and tally five Cy Young awards without some sort of ability and knowledge, and at the very least it couldn't hurt to have Johnson around and teaching.
Unless, of course, he's throwing batting practice and gets a little wild.
That could hurt.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.