Randy Johnson to return as a Diamondbacks coach?
"I've been in touch with [Kirk Gibson] on multiple occasions this year, and even reached out to a couple of the pitchers behind closed doors," the Big Unit told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "Had conversations with them just to kind of have my input, so I'm not that far from getting back in the game."
Does that mean the future hall of famer will soon pursue a career in coaching, maybe with the Diamondbacks?
It would appear to be the case, because while Johnson said he's enjoying his time traveling and being somewhat away from the game, he knows where his future likely lies.
"The time will come that I'll get out to Spring Training and help these kids, or at least see if they want some help, and give my opinions and a lot of times probably just watch," he said.
Of all the players that have worn a D-backs uniform over the years, Johnson seemed like one of the least likely to end up coaching at some point.
Then again, you don't win 303 games, post a career ERA of 3.29 while striking out 4,875 hitters and tally five Cy Young awards without some sort of ability and knowledge, and at the very least it couldn't hurt to have Johnson around and teaching.
Unless, of course, he's throwing batting practice and gets a little wild.
That could hurt.
- Kevin Towers, Dbacks GM - Wednesday June 19General Manager Kevin Towers joins Doug and Wolf following a thrilling DBacks victory to give an upd
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.