Updated Sep 2, 2011 - 2:55 pm
Cy Young race between D-backs' Kennedy and Phillies' Halladay
But as the season winds down and the Cy Young finalists start to separate themselves from the pack, former Philadelphia Phillies pitcher and current MLB Network analyst Mitch Williams believes the drought could come to an end this season.
"It's going to come down to three guys Roy Halladay, Clayton Kershaw and Ian Kennedy," Williams told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "Kershaw has the best overall across the board numbers, but he pitches in Dodger Stadium which is a pitchers ballpark."
Williams believes Kennedy and Halladay's home ballparks give them a clear advantage over the Dodgers lefty.
"Kershaw is 9-0 at home but if you put Kennedy or Halladay in Dodger Stadium they would be 9-0 at home too," Williams said. "Chase Field and Citizens Bank Park are band boxes so Kennedy and Halladay have to pitch."
This season Kennedy has posted a record of 17-4 with a 3.03 ERA while Halladay is 16-5 with a 2.47 ERA.
"Kershaw has been great," Williams said, "but there is going to be a lot of writers who look at that [where he pitches] and what Kennedy has done in Chase Field, so if he and Halladay win out I honestly believe it will be between them two."
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.