Updated Sep 2, 2011 - 2:55 pm
Cy Young race between D-backs' Kennedy and Phillies' Halladay
But as the season winds down and the Cy Young finalists start to separate themselves from the pack, former Philadelphia Phillies pitcher and current MLB Network analyst Mitch Williams believes the drought could come to an end this season.
"It's going to come down to three guys Roy Halladay, Clayton Kershaw and Ian Kennedy," Williams told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "Kershaw has the best overall across the board numbers, but he pitches in Dodger Stadium which is a pitchers ballpark."
Williams believes Kennedy and Halladay's home ballparks give them a clear advantage over the Dodgers lefty.
"Kershaw is 9-0 at home but if you put Kennedy or Halladay in Dodger Stadium they would be 9-0 at home too," Williams said. "Chase Field and Citizens Bank Park are band boxes so Kennedy and Halladay have to pitch."
This season Kennedy has posted a record of 17-4 with a 3.03 ERA while Halladay is 16-5 with a 2.47 ERA.
"Kershaw has been great," Williams said, "but there is going to be a lot of writers who look at that [where he pitches] and what Kennedy has done in Chase Field, so if he and Halladay win out I honestly believe it will be between them two."
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.