Updated Sep 2, 2011 - 2:55 pm
Cy Young race between D-backs' Kennedy and Phillies' Halladay
But as the season winds down and the Cy Young finalists start to separate themselves from the pack, former Philadelphia Phillies pitcher and current MLB Network analyst Mitch Williams believes the drought could come to an end this season.
"It's going to come down to three guys Roy Halladay, Clayton Kershaw and Ian Kennedy," Williams told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "Kershaw has the best overall across the board numbers, but he pitches in Dodger Stadium which is a pitchers ballpark."
Williams believes Kennedy and Halladay's home ballparks give them a clear advantage over the Dodgers lefty.
"Kershaw is 9-0 at home but if you put Kennedy or Halladay in Dodger Stadium they would be 9-0 at home too," Williams said. "Chase Field and Citizens Bank Park are band boxes so Kennedy and Halladay have to pitch."
This season Kennedy has posted a record of 17-4 with a 3.03 ERA while Halladay is 16-5 with a 2.47 ERA.
"Kershaw has been great," Williams said, "but there is going to be a lot of writers who look at that [where he pitches] and what Kennedy has done in Chase Field, so if he and Halladay win out I honestly believe it will be between them two."
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.