Updated Sep 2, 2011 - 2:55 pm
Cy Young race between D-backs' Kennedy and Phillies' Halladay
But as the season winds down and the Cy Young finalists start to separate themselves from the pack, former Philadelphia Phillies pitcher and current MLB Network analyst Mitch Williams believes the drought could come to an end this season.
"It's going to come down to three guys Roy Halladay, Clayton Kershaw and Ian Kennedy," Williams told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "Kershaw has the best overall across the board numbers, but he pitches in Dodger Stadium which is a pitchers ballpark."
Williams believes Kennedy and Halladay's home ballparks give them a clear advantage over the Dodgers lefty.
"Kershaw is 9-0 at home but if you put Kennedy or Halladay in Dodger Stadium they would be 9-0 at home too," Williams said. "Chase Field and Citizens Bank Park are band boxes so Kennedy and Halladay have to pitch."
This season Kennedy has posted a record of 17-4 with a 3.03 ERA while Halladay is 16-5 with a 2.47 ERA.
"Kershaw has been great," Williams said, "but there is going to be a lot of writers who look at that [where he pitches] and what Kennedy has done in Chase Field, so if he and Halladay win out I honestly believe it will be between them two."
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?