Updated Sep 14, 2011 - 5:45 pm
Chris Young calls D-backs 'NL West champs'
The Arizona Diamondbacks are _______.
"NL West champs," the center fielder responded.
If you know anything about what manager Kirk Gibson has been preaching all season, that is a pretty big statement coming from Young.
"I've believed in it all year long, so I don't feel like it's jinxing it," he said on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
With an eight game lead and 13 to go, the Giants need a lot more than a jinx to stage a very late season comeback.
"I don't think there's anything wrong with believing in yourself and believing you're going to do it," said Young.
Young has unofficially become the first Diamondbacks player to come out and claim the division race is over.
It's a good sign that the team is starting to prepare for the playoffs while continuing to win games.
"In the clubhouse that's what we're pushing forward to and when we reach that point we'll take it from there," said Young.
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.