Updated Sep 14, 2011 - 5:45 pm
Chris Young calls D-backs 'NL West champs'
The Arizona Diamondbacks are _______.
"NL West champs," the center fielder responded.
If you know anything about what manager Kirk Gibson has been preaching all season, that is a pretty big statement coming from Young.
"I've believed in it all year long, so I don't feel like it's jinxing it," he said on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
With an eight game lead and 13 to go, the Giants need a lot more than a jinx to stage a very late season comeback.
"I don't think there's anything wrong with believing in yourself and believing you're going to do it," said Young.
Young has unofficially become the first Diamondbacks player to come out and claim the division race is over.
It's a good sign that the team is starting to prepare for the playoffs while continuing to win games.
"In the clubhouse that's what we're pushing forward to and when we reach that point we'll take it from there," said Young.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.