Updated Sep 14, 2011 - 5:45 pm
Chris Young calls D-backs 'NL West champs'
The Arizona Diamondbacks are _______.
"NL West champs," the center fielder responded.
If you know anything about what manager Kirk Gibson has been preaching all season, that is a pretty big statement coming from Young.
"I've believed in it all year long, so I don't feel like it's jinxing it," he said on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf.
With an eight game lead and 13 to go, the Giants need a lot more than a jinx to stage a very late season comeback.
"I don't think there's anything wrong with believing in yourself and believing you're going to do it," said Young.
Young has unofficially become the first Diamondbacks player to come out and claim the division race is over.
It's a good sign that the team is starting to prepare for the playoffs while continuing to win games.
"In the clubhouse that's what we're pushing forward to and when we reach that point we'll take it from there," said Young.
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.