Diamondbacks want to become the new Atlanta Braves
That trio, along with Steve Avery, led the team to the
playoffs every year they were together, proving
good great pitching can carry a team.
The Arizona Diamondbacks are hoping to follow a similar path.
Already with Ian Kennedy and Daniel Hudson pitching at the Major League level, the team has youngsters Jarrod Parker, Tyler Skaggs, Trevor Bauer, Patrick Corbin, David Holmberg and Archie Bradley in the farm system.
"I'm so excited about the future," team president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "We've got so much talent, particularly in the line of pitching that's ready to come up here; they're knocking at the door."
Hall said some of the top prospects will be competing for a rotation spot in spring training, giving the team a chance to have a young rotation that will grow - and possibly dominate - for years to come.
"These are young arms that we've talked about for the last couple of years that we have the possibility of creating what the Atlanta Braves had," Hall said, noting the dominance of each of their starters. "That's what every team dreams of and I think we have an opportunity to get there."
It would be unfair to compare any D-backs pitcher to a Maddux or Glavine, but the idea behind what the team is doing is sound. If each of the prospects is as good as the team thinks they are the Diamondbacks' rotation will be one of the best in the league, at least in terms of quality depth, and that could carry them to the playoffs each and every year.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer