Updated Jun 2, 2011 - 2:10 pm
Suns active in trying to trade up for UA's Williams
The Phoenix Suns need a dynamic forward to replace Amare Stoudemire, and they may be able to find one in the 2011 NBA Draft.
Just not at pick #13.
Sources say Washington & Phoenix have been the most active teams trying to trade up for Derrick Williams. T'Wolves want a "veteran big man."
The Minnesota Timberwolves, as we know, hold the rights to the second pick in the 2011 NBA Draft. Taking Williams for themselves would make sense, except for the fact that they really don't need another forward. Seeking a trade makes sense on multiple levels.
Enter the Suns.
Admittedly it seems like a long shot. If the T'Wolves are after a "veteran big man" as the tweet suggests, the Suns are not necessarily a viable option.
With only Robin Lopez, Channing Frye or Marcin Gortat to offer, the Suns would seem to be short on assets? After all, would Lopez or Frye really interest Minnesota? Would the Suns be willing to put together a package of say Gortat and a pick for the right to draft Williams?
There is no doubt Williams would be a good fit in Phoenix, but that could also be said of a lot of teams. The Suns owe it to themselves to look into the idea, but at this point it's hard to see a deal being consummated that would keep the UA star in Arizona.
Then again, as long as David Kahn is running the show in Minnesota anything is possible.
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.