Updated Jun 2, 2011 - 2:10 pm
Suns active in trying to trade up for UA's Williams
The Phoenix Suns need a dynamic forward to replace Amare Stoudemire, and they may be able to find one in the 2011 NBA Draft.
Just not at pick #13.
Sources say Washington & Phoenix have been the most active teams trying to trade up for Derrick Williams. T'Wolves want a "veteran big man."
The Minnesota Timberwolves, as we know, hold the rights to the second pick in the 2011 NBA Draft. Taking Williams for themselves would make sense, except for the fact that they really don't need another forward. Seeking a trade makes sense on multiple levels.
Enter the Suns.
Admittedly it seems like a long shot. If the T'Wolves are after a "veteran big man" as the tweet suggests, the Suns are not necessarily a viable option.
With only Robin Lopez, Channing Frye or Marcin Gortat to offer, the Suns would seem to be short on assets? After all, would Lopez or Frye really interest Minnesota? Would the Suns be willing to put together a package of say Gortat and a pick for the right to draft Williams?
There is no doubt Williams would be a good fit in Phoenix, but that could also be said of a lot of teams. The Suns owe it to themselves to look into the idea, but at this point it's hard to see a deal being consummated that would keep the UA star in Arizona.
Then again, as long as David Kahn is running the show in Minnesota anything is possible.
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.