Updated Jun 20, 2011 - 3:15 pm
Suns looking to deal Robin Lopez to Warriors?
Where there's smoke more often than not there is fire and there's been an awful lot of smoke coming from the Phoenix Suns' direction this past week.
Plenty of rumors have circulated that the Suns are interested in making a trade to either move up or land another pick in Thursday's draft. Some have ranged from the borderline absurd to the underwhelming.
On Monday Sports 620 KTAR's John Gambadoro on Gambo and Ash added another rumor for fans to talk about.
"There have been discussions with Golden State about a possible deal in which Robin Lopez could go to Golden State and that Golden State pick (No. 11) could come back to Phoenix," Gambadoro said. "Maybe even last year's first round pick [Ekpe] Udoh could be coming to Phoenix as part of that package for Lopez. That would give Phoenix two first round picks and maybe they can get their point guard and power forward in this same draft."
While Gambadoro made it clear that the Suns and Warriors have merely discussed the possibility and nothing is a done deal, the idea is one that is sure to pique the interest of many fans.
If the deal were to go through the Suns would land not only an additional lottery pick this season but a power forward who was selected No. 6 overall in 2010 in Udoh.
Many will wonder why the Warriors would consider such a deal. According to Gambadoro there may be two reasons. One, Golden State is in desperate need of size, and two, Lopez's former agent is now part of the team's front office.
A deal like this could give the Suns the building blocks they need for the future. A power forward and two lottery picks could go a long way to helping them reach two of their self-assigned goals, getting younger and better defensively while keeping Nash in the fold. That is if all of this smoke produces any actual fire.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.