Updated Jun 20, 2011 - 3:01 pm
Suns would likely pass on Jimmer to take Iman Shumpert
Suns fans have been pretty vocal about who they don't want the team to select with the No. 13 pick, but by the time the Houston Rockets are on the clock for No. 14 they may be yearning for the days when they were afraid of hearing "Phoenix Suns select Jimmer Fredette."
"What player are they going to pick at 13," John Gambadoro said on Sports 620 KTAR's Gambo and Ash show. "I think they lean towards Markieff Morris.
"If Markieff Morris is off the board at 13 then I think the player they pick is Shumpert."
When Gambo says "Shumpert" he is talking about Iman Shumpert, a 6-5 guard from Georgia Tech.
"I'll tell you right now, that I think if it came down to Shumpert or Jimmer Fredette they will take Iman Shumpert from Georgia Tech over Jimmer Fredette from BYU."
Plenty of publications have Shumpert pegged as a second-round pick, though his defensive abilities are something the Suns could be after, especially with the team's desire to improve on the defensive end of the floor.
"Out of any player that they're discussing, that guy kind of fits their mold a little bit more than anybody else."
The idea of focusing on defense is noble, if not long overdue. Furthermore, his selection would not be the first that had people scratching their heads, as Sports 620 KTAR's Mark Asher noted that a selection of Shumpert would elicit the same response that Dan Majerle did when the Suns took him 14th overall in the 1988 draft.
That said, reaching for a player who many don't think is worthy of so much as a first round selection, let alone a lottery pick, would not seem like a great move for a front office that is hoping to gain credibility with an increasingly impatient fan base.
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Robert Sarver, Phoenix Suns Owner - Friday August 1Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver joins the show to discuss Gambo's letter to Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.