Updated Jun 24, 2011 - 3:36 pm
Knicks draft Suns' guy with an eye towards Steve Nash
When the Phoenix Suns took Markieff Morris with the 13th pick they did so knowing their other target, Iman Shumpert, would not likely wear a purple and orange uniform anytime soon.
Or will he.
On Friday Sports 620 KTAR's John Gambadoro, on the Gambo and Ash show, brought up an interesting reason for the New York Knicks selecting Shumpert with the 17th pick.
"There's something fishy about this pick, there just is," Gambadoro said. "Mike D'Antoni just drafted a player who can't shoot and plays defense. Not something Mike really likes."
True that. During the head coach's time in Phoenix, no shot equaled no shot to play for D'Antoni.
"I don't think there's any doubt, in my mind, and I spoke with some people in the NBA...that pick may very well have been made to somehow, some way, down the road land Steve Nash in a Knicks uniform," Gambadoro added. "Because the Knicks now have a piece that the Phoenix Suns really, really, really want.
It would not be shocking to learn the Knicks made their choice with an eye towards making a deal, and if the Suns did elect to move Nash the Knicks, with D'Antoni and Amare Stoudemire, would seem like a great fit.
Would the Suns be willing to not only trade the face of their franchise, but also let him create a little "Suns East" in the process? Watching Nash win that elusive championship with D'Antoni and Amare would have to be a little painful, but the threat of Nash leaving once his contract expires is very real.
And now that the Knicks have a guy the Suns have real interest in they may decide to get something in return rather than lose their best player for nothing.
- Suns GM McDonough not surprised by Phoenix's strong start
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Film study aiding defensive effort of Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.