Updated Jun 24, 2011 - 3:36 pm
Knicks draft Suns' guy with an eye towards Steve Nash
When the Phoenix Suns took Markieff Morris with the 13th pick they did so knowing their other target, Iman Shumpert, would not likely wear a purple and orange uniform anytime soon.
Or will he.
On Friday Sports 620 KTAR's John Gambadoro, on the Gambo and Ash show, brought up an interesting reason for the New York Knicks selecting Shumpert with the 17th pick.
"There's something fishy about this pick, there just is," Gambadoro said. "Mike D'Antoni just drafted a player who can't shoot and plays defense. Not something Mike really likes."
True that. During the head coach's time in Phoenix, no shot equaled no shot to play for D'Antoni.
"I don't think there's any doubt, in my mind, and I spoke with some people in the NBA...that pick may very well have been made to somehow, some way, down the road land Steve Nash in a Knicks uniform," Gambadoro added. "Because the Knicks now have a piece that the Phoenix Suns really, really, really want.
It would not be shocking to learn the Knicks made their choice with an eye towards making a deal, and if the Suns did elect to move Nash the Knicks, with D'Antoni and Amare Stoudemire, would seem like a great fit.
Would the Suns be willing to not only trade the face of their franchise, but also let him create a little "Suns East" in the process? Watching Nash win that elusive championship with D'Antoni and Amare would have to be a little painful, but the threat of Nash leaving once his contract expires is very real.
And now that the Knicks have a guy the Suns have real interest in they may decide to get something in return rather than lose their best player for nothing.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.