Updated Jun 24, 2011 - 3:36 pm
Knicks draft Suns' guy with an eye towards Steve Nash
When the Phoenix Suns took Markieff Morris with the 13th pick they did so knowing their other target, Iman Shumpert, would not likely wear a purple and orange uniform anytime soon.
Or will he.
On Friday Sports 620 KTAR's John Gambadoro, on the Gambo and Ash show, brought up an interesting reason for the New York Knicks selecting Shumpert with the 17th pick.
"There's something fishy about this pick, there just is," Gambadoro said. "Mike D'Antoni just drafted a player who can't shoot and plays defense. Not something Mike really likes."
True that. During the head coach's time in Phoenix, no shot equaled no shot to play for D'Antoni.
"I don't think there's any doubt, in my mind, and I spoke with some people in the NBA...that pick may very well have been made to somehow, some way, down the road land Steve Nash in a Knicks uniform," Gambadoro added. "Because the Knicks now have a piece that the Phoenix Suns really, really, really want.
It would not be shocking to learn the Knicks made their choice with an eye towards making a deal, and if the Suns did elect to move Nash the Knicks, with D'Antoni and Amare Stoudemire, would seem like a great fit.
Would the Suns be willing to not only trade the face of their franchise, but also let him create a little "Suns East" in the process? Watching Nash win that elusive championship with D'Antoni and Amare would have to be a little painful, but the threat of Nash leaving once his contract expires is very real.
And now that the Knicks have a guy the Suns have real interest in they may decide to get something in return rather than lose their best player for nothing.
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.