Grand Canyon falls to Missouri-Kansas City despite Russell’s 27
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — LaVell Boyd scored 24 points with six rebounds and six assists and Missouri-Kansas City defeated Grand Canyon 83-77 on Thursday night.
Boyd made just 6 of 15 field goals, but hit 11 of 13 free throws. Broderick Newbill added 20 points and Kyle Steward finished with 14 for the Kangaroos (10-12, 3-3 Western Athletic Conference), who snapped a short two-game losing skid.
Grand Canyon held a 12-point halftime lead (42-30), but that was quickly erased by a 15-2 stretch to open the second for UMKC, which gave the Kangaroos a one-point lead.
The game remained tight until the finish. Two free throws by DeWayne Russell pulled the Antelopes (13-8, 3-2) to 77-76 with 48 seconds left. A free throw by Newbill extended the lead to two, and two more by Boyd made it a two-possession game and effectively iced it.
Russell scored 27 points to lead Grand Canyon.
- Arizona talent ‘bursts back on the scene’ with strong MLB draft
- ASU, Arizona, GCU and high schools represent state in 2018 MLB Draft
- Arizona Cardinals, ASU honor Pat Tillman’s legacy on Memorial Day
- Grand Canyon will face Nevada in inaugural Jerry Colangelo classic
- Former colleagues Gentry, Majerle laud Suns’ hire of Kokoskov