PHOENIX — Dedrick Basile drilled a 3-pointer and Matt Smith followed with a layup as Cal State Bakersfield rallied in the final minutes on Saturday night to beat Grand Canyon 65-62.
Grand Canyon led 57-52 with 5:29 left in the game. Smith and Jaylin Airington hit back-to-back layups to close to 57-56 and took a 61-60 lead when Basile hit the trey with 1:35 left. Airington made two free throws in the final 22 seconds to seal the win.
The Roadrunners (15-7, 6-1), who have won four straight and seven of their last eight, remain in second place in the Western Athletic Conference.
Basile was 5 of 8 from the floor, making 2 of 3 from distance, for 14 points. Smith and Brent Wrapp added 11 apiece for the Roadrunners, who shot 52 percent while limiting Grand Canyon to 10-of-29 shooting in the second half.
Joshua Braun led Grand Canyon (15-9, 4-3) with 16 points.
- Oregon guard, Corona Del Sol product Casey Benson announces transfer to GCU
- Cardinals announce draft picks with help from Johnson, Glassers at Grand Canyon
- GCU’s Russell beats ASU’s Graham, but falls in final of NCAA 3-point contest
- GCU head coach Dan Majerle: ‘I would be crazy to leave GCU right now’
- For last time, no March Madness option for GCU