Phoenix Suns center Tyson Chandler sprained his right ankle against the Chicago Bulls and was ruled out for the rest of the game.
Chandler limped to the bench following a play where the replay revealed Chandler had rolled his right ankle.
The Suns were already shorthanded down low coming into the game. Chandler’s backup Alex Len was out after he was suspended for one game for leaving the bench during the scuffle at the end of Wednesday’s game against the Memphis Grizzlies.
Phoenix rookie power forward Dragan Bender is also out for 4-6 weeks following ankle surgery, leaving rookie power forward Marquese Chriss and third-string center Alan Williams to play a majority of the minutes at center.
Chriss, known to struggle with foul trouble, picked up his fourth foul early in the third quarter. leaving Watson no choice but to play Williams key minutes. Williams entered Saturday having played double-digit minutes three times in the 2016-17 season. He finished with 14 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks.
Chandler did not travel with the team to Houston for their game the following night.
- ESPN says the Phoenix Suns will finish last in the Western Conference
- How realistic is NBA 2K18? Its trailer features a grumpy Marquese Chriss
- ESPN’s first 2018 NBA mock draft has the Suns taking Luka Doncic
- Marvin Bagley commits to Duke, could add to 2018 NBA Draft crop
- The 5: Intriguing items on the Suns’ 2017-18 schedule