So an Atlanta zoo made a Super Bowl bet with a zoo in Rhode Island, and because the New England Patriots beat the Atlanta Falcons, it lost.
Because of it, we all won.
Zoo Atlanta named a tiny baby cockroach after Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, and the announcement video was exquisite.
After introducing a dozen or so other cockroaches, the video clip ends with a zookeeper introducing the tiniest, most insignificant insect as “Tom Brady.”
Is that a shot at Brady? Or is it a compliment, because, you know, cockroaches will continue to survive and thrive in any conditions and likely beyond human existence (In that way, cockroaches are indeed a dynasty in the animal kingdom)?
Turns out, both zoos previously agree that the baby animal would indeed be a cockroach. From Zoo Atlanta’s Facebook post:
Before the game, our two zoos decided the losing side would name one of their baby animals after the winning team’s star quarterback, and figuring the losing side would be pretty bitter about it, we came to the agreement that baby animal … would be a Madagascar hissing cockroach. So without further ado – Meet our newly-named Program Animal family!
- Fitzgerald, Johnson among top 50 in NFL merchandise sales
- Larry Fitzgerald wants to retire while still able to play at high level
- Sorry, Larry: Marshawn Lynch has top-selling jersey in Arizona
- Former Cardinals QB Kurt Warner lands outside top 10 in ESPN GOAT Index
- Tom Brady doesn’t believe in curses, graces new Madden cover