Jerry Narron to replace Ron Gardenhire as bench coach
Jerry Narron will serve as the interim bench coach for the Diamondbacks with Ron Gardenhire taking a leave of absence due to a prostate cancer diagnosis.
Arizona manager Torey Lovullo announced this on Friday, three days after Gardenhire revealed his cancer diagnosis on Tuesday.
Narron managed the Texas Rangers (2001-2002) and the Cincinnati Reds (2005-2007). He was most recently named the manager of the Reno Aces, the D-backs’ Triple-A affiliate, on Dec. 30, 2016.
Gardenhire joined the Diamondbacks’ coaching staff in November but will miss the start of the season, as he will likely have surgery for his condition in mid-April.
The 59-year-old will bring his experience to the dugout. He was the manager for the Minnesota Twins from 2002 to 2014, posting a 1,068-1,039 record, and winning the AL Central six times. Gardenhire was the AL Manager of the Year in 2010.
Arizona opens its spring training schedule on Feb. 25, against the Colorado Rockies. Opening Day for the D-backs is against the San Francisco Giants at Chase Field on April 2.
- Sedona Red Recap: D-backs’ loss to Miami puts playoff clinch on hold
- Sedona Red Recap: D-backs beat Marlins in back-and-forth thriller
- Diamondbacks drop series opener to Padres in San Diego
- After great five-start run, D-backs’ Patrick Corbin lit up by Padres
- Paul Goldschmidt wants to play, defers to Arizona Diamondbacks’ protocol