Martin Hanzal debuts with Wild wearing Shane Doan’s number
When Martin Hanzal made his debut with the Minnesota Wild on Monday night, he was wearing the same number his former captain Shane Doan still wears: No. 19.
Hanzal, along with Ryan White, was traded to the Wild on Sunday. Hanzal and Doan had played together in Arizona for 10 seasons after Hanzal entered the league in 2007. As Arizona Sports’ Craig Morgan reported, Hanzal had a hard time leaving his long-time captain.
Apparently it wasn’t easy for Doan either, who seemed frustrated in an interview after the news that Hanzal was headed to Minnesota.
While with the Coyotes, Hanzal wore No. 11, which is currently in use by Wild left wing and alternate captain Zach Parise.
In other news, White scored against the Los Angeles Kings in his debut Monday. It was his eighth goal of the season.
- Graham: ASU more confident than last season entering Territorial Cup
- Sun Devil Source Report Podcast: ASU looks to end season on high note
- Three things the Sun Devils must do to beat the Wildcats
- No. 2 Arizona drops second straight in Battle 4 Atlantis
- Sun Devils vs. Wildcats: A look back at Territorial Cup history