NFL.com is looking to name the best catch of the 2016 season, and in the spirit of the NCAA Tournament, created a bracket of 32.
Of the 32 catches, three were made by Arizona Cardinals. Wide receivers Larry Fitzgerald and J.J. Nelson, along with cornerback Patrick Peterson, are contenders.
Nelson is facing Falcons wideout Julio Jones in the first round of the Toe Drag Swag section, one of four regions that divide the bracket. Nelson’s came on Oct. 2 against the Rams, where he completed an over-the-head catch on a 3rd-and-7, dragging his feet to stay in bounds and gaining 24 yards in the process.
Fitzgerald is up against Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. in the Immaculate Reception region. Against the 49ers on Nov. 13, Fitzgerald found a hole in the defense and dove toward the sideline to finish the catch, gaining 18 yards.
Peterson’s submission comes from Week 3, where he pulled in a one-handed interception against the Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor, giving the Cardinals a chance to turn back from a 10-point deficit. He’s up against Packers receiver Randall Cobb in the first round.
The winners will be determined by fan vote. Round 2 voting will begin on March 22, with two more rounds until the final opens April 3.
- Cardinals Notes: Boehm’s tan line, Shipley’s value and Jones’ new focus
- Cardinals president Bidwill donates $10,000 to St. Louis charity
- Carson Palmer would enjoy mentoring Cardinals’ QB of future
- Cardinals’ Mathieu is getting stronger and faster ahead of 2017 season
- 2017 NFL Mock Draft Tracker: Projections for the Arizona Cardinals