Larry Bird drives Indy Car through NYC, delivers All-Star bid for Pacers
Larry Bird takes a spin down 5th Avenue. pic.twitter.com/rEeaBTiwpN— Indiana Pacers (@Pacers) April 24, 2017
In a shocking turn of events, NBA Hall of Famer Larry Bird has taken up a career in Indy Car racing.
Well, sort of.
He didn’t really “race” an Indiana Pacers-themed Indy Car, but instead drove it sluggishly through the Big Apple to deliver the Pacers’ bid for the 2021 NBA All-Star game to commissioner Adam Silver.
Bird attended Indiana State before becoming a 12-time All-Star for the Boston Celtics from 1979 to 1992. After his playing days, he returned home to coach the Indiana Pacers and now serves in their front office as the president of basketball operations.
Who knows how Larry would do if he got to take the racecar out on Indianapolis Motor Speedway, just a few miles from the Pacers’ home arena. But in Manhattan, he probably won’t be breaking any speed records.
- Viral tweet could lead to awkward tattoo after ASU upsets Kansas
- Suns continue cultivating Devin Booker’s growth in loss to Pacers
- Report: Former Sun Davon Reed to sign with Pacers after clearing waivers
- Sister Mary Jo paints the corner with first pitch at White Sox game
- Chicago White Sox fan takes ‘saving some for later’ to a new level