Larry Bird takes a spin down 5th Avenue. pic.twitter.com/rEeaBTiwpN— Indiana Pacers (@Pacers) April 24, 2017
In a shocking turn of events, NBA Hall of Famer Larry Bird has taken up a career in Indy Car racing.
Well, sort of.
He didn’t really “race” an Indiana Pacers-themed Indy Car, but instead drove it sluggishly through the Big Apple to deliver the Pacers’ bid for the 2021 NBA All-Star game to commissioner Adam Silver.
Bird attended Indiana State before becoming a 12-time All-Star for the Boston Celtics from 1979 to 1992. After his playing days, he returned home to coach the Indiana Pacers and now serves in their front office as the president of basketball operations.
Who knows how Larry would do if he got to take the racecar out on Indianapolis Motor Speedway, just a few miles from the Pacers’ home arena. But in Manhattan, he probably won’t be breaking any speed records.
- David Ortiz demonstrates inner 50 Cent with first pitch
- Soccer linesman gets sick, crowd cheers and referee shows red card
- Wearing a plum-colored short-sleeved suit, Rondo continues questionable antics
- Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski interrupts White House press briefing
- George’s big night leads Pacers to 120-101 rout of Rockets