D-backs reinstate Greinke, Brito, designate Wilhelmsen for assignment
The Arizona Diamondbacks made three roster moves prior to Sunday’s first pitch against the Milwaukee Brewers.
The team reinstated starter Zack Greinke from the paternity leave list, outfielder Socrates Brito from the 60-day disabled list and designated reliever Tom Wilhelmsen for assignment.
Greinke is 8-3 in 2017 with a 3.20 ERA in 13 starts.
Brito, 24, was optioned to Triple-A Reno. He was seen as a valuable piece of the D-backs roster with the team looking to give some time off for A.J. Pollock this season, but Brito underwent surgery on an open dislocation of his ring finger in early March.
In Brito’s absence, Gregor Blanco and Reymond Fuentes have been filling in for starting outfielders Yasmany Tomas, Pollock and David Peralta as well as infielders Chris Owings, Daniel Descalso and Chris Herrmann.
In 16 rehab games with the Aces, Brito hit .33 with three doubles, three triples and six RBI.
Wilhelmsen was 1-1 with a 4.44 ERA in 26.1 innings out of the bullpen.
- D-backs starters benched, but offense comes through in win
- D-backs recall RHP Jake Barrett from Triple-A Reno
- D-backs’ Double-A affiliate Jackson wins Southern League championship
- Jimmie Sherfy talks about the dudes on the Diamondbacks, dude
- D-backs Farm Rumblings: Jackson, Visalia playing for league titles