ESPN mock: D-backs select Virginia outfielder Adam Haseley in the draft
The D-backs currently sit as the sixth best team in MLB, but due to their 69-93 record last season, they hold the seventh pick in Monday’s draft.
With that pick, ESPN’s Keith Law has the D-backs taking outfielder Adam Haseley.
I have heard them particularly connected with Haseley and Pavin Smith, both UVA kids.
At Virginia, Haseley was a two time All-American who finished his career batting .310, while notching 231 hits, 112 RBI and 21 home runs.
While also having success playing in the outfield, Haseley’s pitching statistics were phenomenal.
In his 35 appearances, Haseley boasts an 18-5 record, 2.51 ERA and 118 strikeouts.
In his senior season, Haseley put himself among the best players in the country. A semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award, he set career highs in batting average (.390), RBI (56), hits (87) and home runs (14).
The D-backs did not have a first round pick last year due to signing Zack Greinke, but with the 39th overall pick they selected Auburn outfielder Anfernee Grier.
The draft can be viewed on MLB Network starting at 4:00 p.m. MST.
- Two Arizona sports venues rank well in ESPN cleanliness study
- D-backs select RHP Nick Green of Yankees in Rule 5 Draft
- Cubs’ Maddon on Goldschmidt trade: ‘I don’t like the Diamondbacks’
- Report: D-backs eyeing Jackie Bradley Jr. as potential Pollock replacement
- Reports: Ketel Marte could play CF for D-backs, Jake Lamb to 1B