Brittney Griner dunks, Mercury drop Dream
BG slams her TENTH dunk! pic.twitter.com/vculBjfKcP
— WNBA (@WNBA) July 13, 2017
PHOENIX (AP) — Brittney Griner had her 10th career dunk and scored 28 points to help the Phoenix Mercury beat the Atlanta Dream 89-84 on Wednesday night.
Griner’s offensive rebound and layup extended Phoenix’s lead to 85-82 with 44 seconds left. After Elizabeth Williams’ basket at the other end, Diana Taurasi hit her sixth 3-pointer with 12.1 seconds to go for a four-point lead.
Taurasi finished with 20 points for Phoenix (11-6), which opened the fourth on a 17-6 run for a 78-73 lead.
Griner made all 10 of her free throws and Phoenix hit 22 straight free throws — a franchise record for a single game — before Camille Little missed with 2.9 seconds left.
Layshia Clarendon scored 21 points on 9-of-12 shooting and had 10 assists for Atlanta (8-9). Brittney Sykes added 16 points, and Williams grabbed 10 rebounds.
Atlanta started the third on a 19-9 spurt, with nine points by Tiffany Hayes and six by Clarendon, for a 65-53 lead.
- GM Jim Pitman: Mercury in early stages of finding temporary building
- Mercury guard Diana Taurasi makes All-WNBA First Team for 10th time
- Mercury can’t contain Sue Bird late, eliminated from playoffs by Storm
- Mercury set for Game 5 vs. Storm after becoming first to come back from 0-2
- Griner, Mercury fight back from 17-point deficit, force Game 5