Pirates fan reinvents ‘throwing it back’ by chucking HR ball into river
When the home team crowd catches the opposing team’s home run ball in the outfield stands, everyone knows what the protocol is.
“Throw it back! Throw it back! Throw it back!”
That’s the chant that will be heard in some capacity.
Well, in a game between the St. Louis Cardinals and Pittsburgh Pirates, there wasn’t even a chance for that to be heard.
The Cardinals’ Jedd Gyorko hit a two-run homer in the top of the first inning to center, and a Pirates fan responded by immediately throwing the ball into the river beyond right field.
There’s a debate as to whether the fan’s arm or complete lack of hesitation he showed making the throw is more impressive.
The fan, Jeff, was interviewed by the Pittsburgh television broadcast and it was revealed that he had planned on the throw from the get-go.
- Let’s laugh at the Dodgers’ Rich Hill, who loses no-hitter on walk-off homer
- MLB umpire saves woman’s life hours before game
- D-backs overcome two blown saves, rain delay to take series over Pirates
- Diamondbacks, Pirates games goes into rain delay before 12th inning
- D-backs’ Robbie Ray picking up the pace, and it’s part of his recent success