Cubs’ Willson Contreras meets fan with down syndrome on fan’s birthday
Daniel Rodriguez had the coolest birthday EVER today!
— Jake Hamilton (@JakesTakes) July 25, 2017
A young fan with down syndrome got his birthday wish when he got to meet his favorite player, Cubs catcher Willson Contreras.
Contreras, 25, has been with the Cubs organization since he was 17 years old but made his major league debut last June. Since then, he’s played 164 major league games and hit .274 with 27 home runs and 87 RBI.
But in this instance, it was what he did before the game that made a fan’s day.
A reporter for Fox 32 News in Chicago, Jake Hamilton, tweeted the video and identified the fan as Daniel Rodriguez. In the video, Contreras is seen giving him a set of batting gloves, a batting helmet and a jersey.
At the end, Contreras gave Rodriguez a big hug.
- DeMarcus Cousins receives inaugural community assist award
- Hernandez hits 3 HRs, Dodgers top Cubs to reach World Series
- Ironwood IB student leads the way in assisting Mexico
- Texans’ Deshaun Watson dedicates first paycheck to support Harvey relief
- Young fan takes cupcake to OSU QB after hit puts him in hospital