Daniel Rodriguez had the coolest birthday EVER today!
— Jake Hamilton (@JakesTakes) July 25, 2017
A young fan with down syndrome got his birthday wish when he got to meet his favorite player, Cubs catcher Willson Contreras.
Contreras, 25, has been with the Cubs organization since he was 17 years old but made his major league debut last June. Since then, he’s played 164 major league games and hit .274 with 27 home runs and 87 RBI.
But in this instance, it was what he did before the game that made a fan’s day.
A reporter for Fox 32 News in Chicago, Jake Hamilton, tweeted the video and identified the fan as Daniel Rodriguez. In the video, Contreras is seen giving him a set of batting gloves, a batting helmet and a jersey.
At the end, Contreras gave Rodriguez a big hug.
- Horizon's Kody Huff more than a rising baseball star
- Campo Verde's Kanani Hiapo thrives on volleyball court, in the classroom
- Raymond S. Kellis sophomore Chase Weaver balances leadership roles in sports, church
- Westwood's Brianna Anderson makes big differences with little actions
- Marcos de Niza kicker Krysten Muir using football success to build up others
- Arcadia High School's Grant Loftin leads in lacrosse and beyond
- Williams Field High School junior Lindsay O'Driscoll finds time to help others
- Scottsdale Christian's Christina Clark has dreams, reality of helping others
- Golf, piloting and helping others are Brody Burnell's passions
- Teddy bear drive, speeches help Emery Miller inspire children to overcome adversity
- Sedona Red Recap: Bullpen falters as D-backs drop series to Cubs
- Sedona Red Recap: Peralta hits inside-the-parker in D-backs’ win over Cubs
- Sedona Red Recap: D-backs fall as Cubs bats strike early and often
- With three homers, Goldschmidt helps D-backs win series over Cubs
- D-backs’ Paul Goldschmidt smashes three homers in wild win over Cubs