Cubs’ Willson Contreras meets fan with down syndrome on fan’s birthday
Daniel Rodriguez had the coolest birthday EVER today!
— Jake Hamilton (@JakesTakes) July 25, 2017
A young fan with down syndrome got his birthday wish when he got to meet his favorite player, Cubs catcher Willson Contreras.
Contreras, 25, has been with the Cubs organization since he was 17 years old but made his major league debut last June. Since then, he’s played 164 major league games and hit .274 with 27 home runs and 87 RBI.
But in this instance, it was what he did before the game that made a fan’s day.
A reporter for Fox 32 News in Chicago, Jake Hamilton, tweeted the video and identified the fan as Daniel Rodriguez. In the video, Contreras is seen giving him a set of batting gloves, a batting helmet and a jersey.
At the end, Contreras gave Rodriguez a big hug.
- Cardinals’ Gresham urges ASU grad to pay it forward after good deed
- Watch this dude lose his mind (and beer) after getting a D-backs HR ball
- Shaq is helping a high school in Louisiana put in a new weight room
- Harlem Globetrotters surprise boy with rare disease, make his day
- D-backs’ Taijuan Walker impressive in win vs. Chicago Cubs