D-backs’ first-round pick Pavin Smith named to Top 100 prospects list
The Diamondbacks’ first-round pick from this year’s draft, Pavin Smith, has already been named the best prospect in their system, according to MLB Pipeline’s 2017 top-100 prospects list.
At No. 74, the No. 7 overall pick is the only D-back to show up in the top 100 and is listed as the eighth-best prospect from the 2017 draft.
In 27 games with Class A Hillsboro, the first baseman is batting .358 with 38 hits, 12 RBI and 15 walks while also posting an OPS of .891.
After the list was updated to reflect midseason changes on Tuesday, the D-backs’ top prospects saw some movement.
Following Smith is the D-backs’ third-round pick from a year ago, Jon Duplantier. After him is their 2015 third-round pick, Taylor Clarke, and their top preseason prospect, Anthony Banda.
Headlined with Smith as their only top-100 prospect, the D-backs farm system ranks 26th in the league.
- D-backs notebook: Decisions coming soon for D-backs, Torey Lovullo
- Knowledge of spring training fans tested, and it didn’t go too well
- D-backs to provide military and first responders discounts in 2018
- Diamondbacks players pile into pen, attempt to outweigh PBR bucking bull
- D-backs RF Steven Souza Jr. receives good news, MRI shows pectoral strain