Arizona football receives two votes in USA Today Coaches Poll
Arizona football won three games last year. The Pac-12 preseason media poll selected them to finish dead last in the conference. Yet, in a bizarre turn of events, they received two top 25 votes in USA Today’s Coaches Poll.
The two votes were about as unpredictable as their only conference victory last year, a 56-35 win over rival ASU in which they did not attempt a pass in the second half.
The votes are weighted differently based upon where the team is ranked, so a team would receive 25 points for a first place vote and one point for a 25th place vote. So, the Wildcats could have received two votes for 25th or one vote for 24th.
And if you’re wondering, Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez does have a vote.
Among teams that received more then one vote, the Wildcats had the worst record last season. And this season, not much help is coming.
Therefore, their being anywhere near the top 25 in a non-basketball list is a bit of a head-scratcher.
Here’s the full list of teams who received votes for and got into the top 25.
- Arizona basketball earns commitment from Cornell transfer Stone Gettings
- UA’s Allonzo Trier, Rawle Alkins conclude first NBA Summer League
- Top plays with Arizona ties from the 2017 college football season
- Suns dip into in-state pool again by selecting Arizona’s Deandre Ayton
- ASU’s Harry, UA’s Tate land on Athlon’s preseason All-American team