Mercury top Wings in overtime behind Currie’s 29
ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — Monique Currie scored 29 points, Danielle Robinson made two free throws for a three-point lead with 41.1 seconds left in overtime and the Phoenix Mercury beat the Dallas Wings 101-100 on Thursday night.
Dallas scored the first six points of overtime, but Currie’s 3-pointer from the corner put Phoenix ahead 99-98 with 58.9 seconds left. After Robinson’s makes, Allisha Gray hit two free throws with 31.9 seconds left to pull Dallas to 101-100.
Phoenix had a pass stolen by Karima Christmas-Kelly with 16 seconds left, but the Mercury deflected a pass at the other end and Dallas didn’t get off a final shot before the buzzer.
Robinson and Emma Cannon each added 17 points for Phoenix (14-12).
Glory Johnson had 25 points, 15 rebounds and five assists for Dallas (13-15).
Johnson was fouled on a putback with 14.4 seconds left in regulation and she made the free throw to tie it at 90. Diana Taurasi’s contested 3-pointer at the buzzer was off the mark.
- Mercury guard Diana Taurasi makes All-WNBA First Team for 10th time
- Mercury can’t contain Sue Bird late, eliminated from playoffs by Storm
- Mercury set for Game 5 vs. Storm after becoming first to come back from 0-2
- Griner, Mercury fight back from 17-point deficit, force Game 5
- DeWanna Bonner leads Mercury to game 3 win with 18 first-half points