Mercury center Brittney Griner to return Saturday against Storm
The Phoenix Mercury will be receiving a big boost this weekend with MVP candidate Brittney Griner returning to the lineup.
Griner will be coming back into the fray for the Mercury against the Seattle Storm on Saturday. She missed the last eight games because of a left knee bone bruise and right ankle sprain.
Griner is the league’s leader in scoring and blocks, averaging a career-high 22.3 points and 8.2 rebounds per game as well.
In her absence, the Mercury went 3-5.
Phoenix is currently 14-12 and fifth in the WNBA standings with eight games remaining. With eight teams making the playoffs, the Mercury are four games ahead of the team in ninth, the Atlanta Dream.
- Mercury guard Diana Taurasi makes All-WNBA First Team for 10th time
- Mercury can’t contain Sue Bird late, eliminated from playoffs by Storm
- Mercury set for Game 5 vs. Storm after becoming first to come back from 0-2
- Griner, Mercury fight back from 17-point deficit, force Game 5
- DeWanna Bonner leads Mercury to game 3 win with 18 first-half points