Oakland Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch sat during the Star Spangled Banner prior to the Raiders’ game against the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium on Saturday.
Lynch’s act mirrors that of former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who sparked a national debate after he knelt during his the national anthem last season.
Lynch, 31, hasn’t played since 2015 but came out of retirement this season to join the Raiders. In nine NFL seasons, the former Super Bowl champion has been a five-time Pro Bowler and one-time All-Pro selection.
- Now it can be said: Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu is back
- Cardinals notes: Brandon Williams shines in loss to Bears
- Arizona Cardinals can’t hold lines in preseason loss to Bears
- Cardinals fall just short of comeback in preseason loss to Bears
- Bruce Arians’ son Jake not pleased with Cardinals’ first-half performance