Griner, Taurasi Mitchell lead Mercury past Storm
SEATTLE — Brittney Griner had 29 points, eight rebounds and five blocks, and Leilani Mitchell hit two late 3-pointers to help the Phoenix Mercury hold off the Seattle Storm 75-71 on Sunday night.
Diana Taurasi scored 18 points, and Mitchell finished with 11 for Phoenix (16-16). The Mercury clinched a playoff berth earlier Sunday when the Chicago Sky lost to the New York Liberty, 92-62.
Mitchell hit a 3 to give Phoenix a two-point lead with 1:38 to play. Jewell Loyd answered with a layup but, after Griner and Loyd traded three-point plays, Mitchell made another 3 to make it 72-69 with 44 seconds left. Breanna Stewart hit two free throws to pull the Storm within one, and Taurasi hit a deep 3-pointer to cap the scoring with 15 seconds remaining.
Loyd scored a career-high 33 points, and Stewart added 13 points and nine rebounds for Seattle (14-18).
The Mercury were 5 of 6 from 3-point range in the fourth quarter.
- Mercury guard Diana Taurasi makes All-WNBA First Team for 10th time
- Mercury can’t contain Sue Bird late, eliminated from playoffs by Storm
- Mercury set for Game 5 vs. Storm after becoming first to come back from 0-2
- Griner, Mercury fight back from 17-point deficit, force Game 5
- DeWanna Bonner leads Mercury to game 3 win with 18 first-half points