Phoenix Mercury clinch playoff home game to be played in Tempe
With their 86-66 win Friday night against the Connecticut Sun, the Phoenix Mercury clinched a playoff home game in round one of the WNBA Playoffs.
The game will take place on Wednesday, Sept. 6, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.
In the WNBA’s new playoff format that started last season, rounds one and two of the postseason are single elimination and the last two series are a best-of-five format.
With the top eight teams in the standings making the playoffs, the top four teams receive byes while the bottom four seeds face off in the first round. Because of that win, the 17-16 Mercury cannot finish any lower than sixth in the WNBA standings, meaning they have clinched homecourt for their round one game.
In last year’s WNBA Playoffs, the Mercury entered as the eighth seed and pulled off two straight upsets over the Indiana Fever and New York Liberty to advance to the semifinals. They would be swept by the No. 1 overall seed Minnesota Lynx in that series.
Tickets to the game can be purchased on the team’s website.
- GM Jim Pitman: Mercury in early stages of finding temporary building
- Where does Larry Fitzgerald rank among AZ’s longest-tenured athletes?
- Mercury guard Diana Taurasi makes All-WNBA First Team for 10th time
- Mercury can’t contain Sue Bird late, eliminated from playoffs by Storm
- Mercury set for Game 5 vs. Storm after becoming first to come back from 0-2