Phoenix Mercury clinch playoff home game to be played in Tempe
With their 86-66 win Friday night against the Connecticut Sun, the Phoenix Mercury clinched a playoff home game in round one of the WNBA Playoffs.
The game will take place on Wednesday, Sept. 6, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.
In the WNBA’s new playoff format that started last season, rounds one and two of the postseason are single elimination and the last two series are a best-of-five format.
With the top eight teams in the standings making the playoffs, the top four teams receive byes while the bottom four seeds face off in the first round. Because of that win, the 17-16 Mercury cannot finish any lower than sixth in the WNBA standings, meaning they have clinched homecourt for their round one game.
In last year’s WNBA Playoffs, the Mercury entered as the eighth seed and pulled off two straight upsets over the Indiana Fever and New York Liberty to advance to the semifinals. They would be swept by the No. 1 overall seed Minnesota Lynx in that series.
Tickets to the game can be purchased on the team’s website.
- Phoenix Mercury’s Taurasi, Griner, Bonner earn 2018 All-Star nods
- Griner scores 36, Mercury snap 3-game skid in win over Fever
- Courtney Williams powers Connecticut Sun past Mercury
- Dallas Wings win with balanced attack over Phoenix Mercury
- Phoenix Mercury’s late rally not enough, fall to Atlanta Dream