D-backs 1B Paul Goldschmidt getting MRI on right elbow
Paul Goldschmidt remained out of the Arizona Diamondbacks’ starting lineup Monday for the second game in a row because of an elbow issue.
The first baseman didn’t play in the series finale at Colorado on Sunday and was replaced by the recently called-up Kris Negron at first base during the 5-1 win. Utility man Adam Rosales was listed as the starting first baseman Monday against the Los Angeles Dodgers, and Negron moved to shortstop.
In order, Arizona manager Torey Lovullo put together a lineup of David Peralta, Negron, A.J. Pollock, J.D. Martinez, Brandon Drury and Jake Lamb for the series opener in Los Angeles.
In the thick of the MVP race, Goldschmidt is batting .314 with 33 home runs and 109 RBI — 16 off his career-high — so far in 2017.
Sitting out will delay Goldschmidt’s quest toward reaching the 1,000-hit mark for his career. He is currently at 996 hits.
- D-backs hosting Childhood Cancer Awareness Night on Saturday
- Watch J.D. Martinez interview Archie Bradley after win over Padres
- Derrick Hall: Archie Bradley is the D-backs’ emotional leader
- ESPN’s Shoenfield: Chris Iannetta D-backs’ biggest lineup question
- D-backs turn four-run deficit into rout of Padres