ASU football will wear throwback sunburst helmets to honor Frank Kush
Head coach Todd Graham said it would happen, and on Wednesday, Arizona State released the teaser.
To honor former head coach Frank Kush, ASU will wear retro sunburst-logo helmets Saturday when the Sun Devils host San Diego State.
“It’s a special week for us and a special week for me,” Graham said Monday at his weekly press conference. “Obviously we’re honoring him the whole season with ‘Sun Devil Tough,’ but this week, obviously we’ll have the (retro) sunburst (logo) on the helmet and this will be the game we’re recognizing coach Kush — not just the greatest coach to ever coach here, but just what he meant in so many different ways to this university.”
Kush joined Arizona State as an assistant coach in 1955 before a two-decade long stint as the head coach from 1958-79, where he amassed a 176-54-1 record. ASU won nine conference championships in the Border Conference and WAC under his guidance.
The Sun Devils won four Fiesta Bowls and a Peach Bowl under Kush, who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1995.
- ASU’s Holder scores career-high 40 in statement win over No. 15 Xavier
- Three things the Sun Devils must do to beat the Wildcats
- Sun Devils vs. Wildcats: A look back at Territorial Cup history
- Three things the Wildcats must do to beat Sun Devils
- How does the Territorial Cup game compare to other in-state rivalries?