D-backs shut down Randall Delgado, make more September call-ups
Randall Delgado has a flexor strain in his right elbow and MRI film is on its way to Dr. James Andrews for further review. He is shut down. pic.twitter.com/GJiO3vc6ex— FOX Sports Arizona (@FOXSPORTSAZ) September 9, 2017
Paul Goldschmidt returning to the Arizona Diamondbacks lineup wasn’t the only news to come out for the team prior to Saturday’s game against the San Diego Padres.
The team shut down right-hander Randall Delgado, according to D-backs manager Torey Lovullo.
“He is being shut down for the short-term, with a chance of that being longer for the season,” he said Saturday.
On Friday, Lovullo said they were awaiting the results of an MRI after Delgado said he felt stiffness in his right elbow.
That MRI showed that Delgado had a flexor strain. He had been out since mid-July with inflammation in his right elbow. Dr. James Andrews will be examining Delgado for another opinion.
In 26 appearances this season, Delgado had a 3.59 ERA with a record of 1-2. This is Delgado’s fifth season in Arizona.
In the latest round of September call-ups, Arizona recalled left-hander Anthony Banda, outfielder Jeremy Hazelbaker and infielder Ildemaro Vargas from the Triple-A Reno Aces.
Banda was rated the No. 1 prospect in the Arizona system for 2017 by Baseball America and MLB.com. He has made four starts for the D-backs in 2017, allowing 16 earned runs in 19.2 innings for a 7.32 ERA.
Hazelbaker has mostly been absent from the major league club after making the Opening Day roster. For the Aces, Hazelbaker is hitting .279 with six home runs and 25 RBI in 52 games.
Vargas, like Banda, made his Major League debut with the D-backs this season. In Triple-A, Vargas has been hitting the ball well, posting a .312 batting average with 10 home runs and 65 RBI. His 35 doubles led the Pacific Coast League and he ranked fourth in hits (152) and tied for fifth in runs (87).
The three call-ups now put the D-backs’ active roster at 34 players, with the 40-man roster remaining at 40.
- ESPN: Yasmany Tomas has the D-backs’ worst contract
- ESPN’s Olney: Red Sox offered Martinez deal in range of $100 million
- D-backs avoid arbitration with 9 players including Ray, Lamb, Pollock
- D-backs reach agreement with Brad Boxberger, avoid arbitration
- D-backs agree to one-year deal with Corbin, avoid arbitration