Cardinals bring back veteran running back Chris Johnson
The Arizona Cardinals are bringing back veteran running back Chris Johnson, as first reported by the Associated Press’ Robert Baum.
Head coach Bruce Arians said Monday that Johnson would “be an option.”
Kerwynn Williams, Andre Ellington and rookie Elijhaa Penny will also be in the mix.
Johnson rushed for 814 yards and three touchdowns in his first year with the team in 2015. In 2016, Johnson only played in four games before being placed on injured reserve because of a groin injury.
Johnson is less than 500 yards shy of 10,000 career rushing yards at 9,537. The mark has only been reached by 29 players in NFL history.
- USA Today: Cardinals not expected to contend for playoffs in 2018-19
- Arizona Cardinals rank No. 41 in Forbes’ 2018 most valuable franchises
- Keim’s absence comes as Cardinals talk complicated Johnson extension
- Cardinals suspend GM Steve Keim for five weeks after he pleads guilty to DUI
- Cardinals need a lot to go right to rise in ESPN’s future power rankings