Arizona Cardinals re-sign linebacker Scooby Wright to practice squad
The Arizona Cardinals re-signed former University of Arizona linebacker Scooby Wright to the practice squad Wednesday.
Wright, The 2016 seventh-round pick by the Cleveland Browns signed with the Cardinals in December of 2016, but was cut to make way for the 53-man roster and signed to the team’s practice squad this year.
Linebacker Philip Wheeler was originally on the 53-man roster, but due to his contract situation, he was released by the team. If Wheeler would have suited up, his $695,000 contract would have been guaranteed. Wright was signed to take his place on the active roster on Sept. 8 prior to week one’s showdown against the Detroit Lions, but was inactive for the game.
The Cardinals flip-flopped that move on Monday by re-signing Wheeler and releasing Wright.
In five preseason games with Arizona, Wright totaled 18 tackles and forced a fumble.
- Arians regrets fourth down call vs. Texans: ‘A bad call and a bad decision’
- Rapid Reaction: Cardinals fall to Texans in Gabbert’s first start
- Big Red Recap: Cardinals’ playoff hopes all but dashed in loss to Texans
- Blaine Gabbert should keep playing after first Cardinals start
- Cardinals’ Ricky Seals-Jones is now a famous fantasy football player