D-backs’ Magic Number Countdown
The Arizona Diamondbacks’ magic number is now zero; They’re going to the playoffs.
Following their walk-off win over the Marlins on Sunday, the D-backs are 90-66 and lead the Rockies by 6 games for the top National League Wild Card spot.
The D-backs clinched while Sunday’s game was still in progress by virtue of losses by the Cardinals and Brewers.
The Diamondbacks have now made the postseason six times in their history. However, they’ve never made it as a Wild Card before. Arizona won the National League West in 1999, 2001, 2002, 2007 and 2011.
- The 5: Most thrilling debut seasons in Valley sports history
- D-backs’ Goldschmidt finishes third in NL MVP voting, Marlins’ Stanton wins
- J.D. Martinez’s agent keeps making hilarious metaphors
- D-backs’ Greinke finishes fourth in NL Cy Young voting, Ray seventh
- NL MVP: How D-backs’ Goldschmidt stacks up against other two finalists