Former Cardinal Marcus Cooper forgets to score a touchdown
Marcus Cooper ran a blocked field goal all the way back for a touchd…never mind
— Someone's An Idiot (@SomeonesAnIdiot) September 24, 2017
Football coaches want their players to run through the whistle.
Track coaches want their runners to run through the finish line.
Chicago Bears fans want Marcus Cooper to at least, you know, walk into the end zone. Like, at least get there.
When the Bears blocked Pittsburgh Steelers kicker Chris Boswell’s field goal attempt, Cooper, the former Arizona Cardinals defensive back, picked up the ball and turned on the jets.
He had all the speed and all the open space in front of him to score a touchdown, but he got in his own way. We think.
Cooper slowed up and stopped. At the 1-yard line.
And some much slower Steelers in pursuit caught up to the now-standing Cooper, and one of them, Vance McDonald, batted the ball out of his arms. With the ball loose, Pittsburgh illegally knocked the ball out of the back of the end zone, and Chicago ended up getting the ball to convert a short field goal.
questionable very, very dumb decision-making cost the Bears four points.
It’s safe to say Bears fans were not pleased with it. But it sure was hilarious.
- A Q&A with Cardinals special teams coordinator Jeff Rodgers
- Former Arizona Cardinals OL Earl Watford signs with Bears
- Report: Bears expected to re-sign former Cardinals CB Marcus Cooper
- Report: Cardinals interested in QB Mike Glennon as depth option
- Report: Mark Helfrich is Bears OC, out of Arizona coaching search