Luis Gonzalez surprises baseball team with D-backs playoff tickets
D-backs legend Luis Gonzalez helped give the franchise a World Series title in 2001 and now the fan favorite continues to give more to the community.
Gonzalez, D-backs senior adviser to the president & CEO, wanted to surprise a Phoenix high school baseball club with tickets to the franchise’s Wild Card game this Wednesday.
— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) October 3, 2017
Rafael, Abraham and Manny Castillo were the expected recipients until Gonzalez decided to give the entire Alhambra High School baseball team tickets. The club also received postseason D-backs gear.
The Castillo brothers have participated in the D-backs Give Back Youth Jersey program and their high school baseball team’s field improvements are funded through the D-backs Chase Your Dreams High School Baseball/Softball program.
“I want to see J.D. hopefully hit a bomb,” Alhambra teammate Justin Alday said. “Goldschmidt, he’s a big bat, he’s always been our MVP here. I know Greinke is just going to dominate them, because he’s at home and all the energy there is going to pump him up.”
Chase Field host its first their first playoff game since 2011 with the D-backs set to square off against the Rockies on Wednesday 5 p.m. MST.
- Bullpen comes up short for D-backs in loss to Rockies
- Goldschmidt shows off baserunning skills in fourth inning against Rockies
- Eight-year-old throws first pitch at D-backs’ game using 3-D-printed hand
- Paul Goldschmidt: Intimidating, friendly, the guy you want at the plate
- Rockies light up Archie Bradley in game-changing inning of D-backs’ loss