Arizona, ASU pick up votes in college football coaches poll
The Arizona Wildcats (5-2) and Arizona State Sun Devils (4-3) have begun garnering attention, and it was reflected in the Week 9 USA Today Coaches poll released Sunday.
Arizona received six votes and are six spots out of the top-25 rankings. ASU earned two votes.
The recognition comes after the Wildcats moved their winning streak to three games thanks to Saturday’s 45-44 double-overtime victory at Cal. The Sun Devils dropped Utah, 30-10, on the road, marking their second win in a row.
Both Arizona schools are 3-1 in conference play and sit just behind 4-1 USC atop the Pac-12 South.
No. 11 Washington, which ASU upset at home a week prior, is the highest-ranked Pac-12 school in the AP Poll. Washington State, Arizona’s next opponent, is 16th.
No. 20 Stanford and No. 21 USC round out the ranked conference teams. The Sun Devils host the Trojans next as USC comes off a 49-14 loss to Notre Dame that dropped them 11 spots in the rankings.
- Arizona State falls to Texas, eliminated from women’s NCAA Tournament
- ASU outfielder Gage Canning named Pac-12 Player of the Week
- The End of Guard U: ASU’s seniors go out with loss to Syracuse
- ASU’s crying tourney kid was more than an average Sun Devil fan
- Arizona State’s Courtney Ekmark ready to return to familiar March setting