NAU football coach Jerome Souers will return next season
In a surprising development, Northern Arizona University longtime football coach Jerome Souers will remain the program’s coach, the school announced Monday.
The announcement comes less than three months after the school said following their September 62-24 loss to Arizona that Souers would be leaving after the season.
That came from former NAU Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Lisa Campos, who, on Friday, was announced as the University of Texas at San Antonio’s new athletic director.
School president Rita Cheng made the announcement regarding Souers’ return.
“Maintaining stability in the athletics department is extremely important as NAU begins its search for a new athletics director,” Cheng said in a press release. “It will be a key consideration for those interested in NAU’s athletics director position to know they are walking into a strong and stable program and will have the time and ability to make coaching decisions.”
Souers is in his 20th season as coach, holding the record for most wins in Big Sky Conference history.
The Lumberjacks earned a spot in the FCS playoff bracket, posting a record of 7-4. They will take on the University of San Diego on Saturday at 6 p.m.
- NAU football hires former ASU assistant Chris Ball as new head coach
- Eaddy leads 4 in double figures, Santa Clara rallies to beat NAU
- NAU’s Jerome Souers no longer head coach, accepts new role
- Davison’s pick-6 helps Northern Arizona hold off North Dakota
- NAU football game against Sac State canceled due to wild fires