San Diego remains unbeaten, knocks off Grand Canyon
PHOENIX — Isaiah Pineiro scored 17 points and Isaiah Wright scored 16 points and distributed 10 assists as San Diego remained unbeaten and handed Grand Canyon its first defeat with a 72-62 win Saturday night.
Pineiro and Olin Carter III took the game over when they doubled up for a 10-0 run in less than two minutes to seal the win. Pineiro had a dunk and 3-point play off a layup before Carter made 3-point basket and layup to make it 63-55 with 3:46 left. Grand Canyon shot 1-for-9 from the field in the final 8:40.
Carter finished with 15 points and Yauhen Massalski scored 17 points shooting 8-of-11 and grabbed seven rebounds. San Diego (5-0) is off to its best start since the 2013-14 season.
For Grand Canyon (4-1), Joshua Braun led the way with 20 points and Oscar Frayer scored 12.
- GCU falls as South Dakota State wins nation-best 21st straight home game
- College basketball returns with heightened expectations for GCU
- Place to be: Grand Canyon soccer leads the nation in fan attendance
- Diamondbacks’ offense musters two runs in loss to Padres
- Arizona talent ‘bursts back on the scene’ with strong MLB draft