San Diego remains unbeaten, knocks off Grand Canyon
PHOENIX — Isaiah Pineiro scored 17 points and Isaiah Wright scored 16 points and distributed 10 assists as San Diego remained unbeaten and handed Grand Canyon its first defeat with a 72-62 win Saturday night.
Pineiro and Olin Carter III took the game over when they doubled up for a 10-0 run in less than two minutes to seal the win. Pineiro had a dunk and 3-point play off a layup before Carter made 3-point basket and layup to make it 63-55 with 3:46 left. Grand Canyon shot 1-for-9 from the field in the final 8:40.
Carter finished with 15 points and Yauhen Massalski scored 17 points shooting 8-of-11 and grabbed seven rebounds. San Diego (5-0) is off to its best start since the 2013-14 season.
For Grand Canyon (4-1), Joshua Braun led the way with 20 points and Oscar Frayer scored 12.
- Grand Canyon will face Nevada in inaugural Jerry Colangelo classic
- Former colleagues Gentry, Majerle laud Suns’ hire of Kokoskov
- GCU’s Dan Majerle explains his stance on declining Suns’ initial interest
- Grand Canyon accepts invitation to the 16-team CBI Tournament
- GCU comes up just short against New Mexico State in WAC Championship