The world of combat sports has lost one of it’s most important and polarizing figures on Friday.
Longtime Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer has announced his plans to resign from the position he’s held since 2006.
Kizer, whose resignation takes effect January 27, plans to return to work at the Attorney General’s office, where he worked prior to taking the job in the NSAC
“I’ve enjoyed my time with the commission, but it’s time to move on,” Kizer said in a statement to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
Kizer previously served as a legal counsel to the NSAC before to replacing Marc Ratner, who resigned in 2006 in order become the vice president of regulatory affairs at the UFC.
As the head of the most influential commission in combat sport, Kizer has oversaw four of the 10 biggest boxing gates in Nevada history including the record breaking $20.03 million gate for the on Sept. 14 card headlined by Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Canelo Alvarez and nine of the top 10 gates in UFC history, including the $6.9 million at UFC 148 headlined by Anderson Siva vs. Chael Sonnen II, Kizer
But his time on top didn’t come without controversy in both MMA and boxing. Major scoring controversies in high profile bouts such as Timothy Bradley vs. Manny Pacquiao and Mayweather vs. Alvarez has drawn the ire of sports fans all around the world.
It was eventual decision to support the outcomes of both fights and most recently the controversial outcome of UFC 167’s main event that has made him one of the most disliked men in the state of Nevada.
There has been no word on who will be replacing Kizer but according to according to NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar, they will begin the process of searching immediately
“The board is grateful to Keith for his nearly eight years of dedicated service, which included the commission’s strongest years with regard to health and safety and fiscal soundness. My fellow commissioners and I wish Keith all the best in his new role,” said Aguilar.