In the days leading up to last Saturday’s highly anticipated UFC on FOX 11 fight card, UFC president Dana White announced that the winner of the main event between Travis Browne and Fabricio Werdum would be crowned the new number one contender for Cain Velasquez’s heavyweight championship.
If that prize wasn’t enough, the UFC’s head honcho added the winner would not only face Velasquez for the belt, but would do so on an upcoming fight card in Mexico.
Velasquez has not been seen inside a UFC octagon since his throttling of Junior dos Santos in the pair’s rubber match back at UFC 166 in October. Initially it was expected his follow up performance would come against Werdum earlier this year until it was revealed a shoulder injury suffered in the Dos Santos fight required surgery, forcing Velasquez to sit on the sideline.
“As long as Cain’s recovery is on course then the fight will be in Mexico,” White told reporters at the pre-fight press conference.
When asked about the location for the UFC’s first trip across the border, White said the UFC has already zeroed in on the capital city but has not yet found a specific arena.
“I’ve always said if we go to Mexico then the first city we’re going to do would be Mexico City,” White told Fox Sports 1.
The UFC has already announced its plans for The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America, with the live finale scheduled for an upcoming fight card in November. It would seem more than logical to make this heavyweight title the main event for this historic event and according to Velasquez he sees no roadblocks from this becoming a reality.
“I think November sounds good. I think with rehab and everything else that would give me time to get ready.” Velasquez told reporters during an interview backstage at UFC 171 in March. “I’m towards the end of my rehab right now, more so trying to get that strength back. Still can’t train yet, but hopefully the doctor will clear me soon.”