Arizona Rattlers defensive back Virgil Gray picked off a Russ Michna pass in the closing seconds of the team’s playoff win over the San Jose Sabercats August 5.
Instead of drawing attention to himself or taunting his opponent, Gray simply went to the first row of the stands, kneeled and prayed, handed the ball to a fan and hugged her.
The fan was Jennifer Boyle, a longtime season ticket holder who had just lost her husband Rick, who passed away at the age of 43.
As Gray runs back to the Rattlers’ bench, you can see the emotion on Boyle’s face.
Boyle summed up her emotions on her Facebook page.
“Hopefully everyone will know just how special these guys are. I’ve known ever since I’ve I had season tickets. That’s why I keep coming back. They are amazing. :)”
Character Counts Finalist
- Horizon's Kody Huff more than a rising baseball star
- Campo Verde's Kanani Hiapo thrives on volleyball court, in the classroom
- Raymond S. Kellis sophomore Chase Weaver balances leadership roles in sports, church
- Westwood's Brianna Anderson makes big differences with little actions
- Marcos de Niza kicker Krysten Muir using football success to build up others
- Arcadia High School's Grant Loftin leads in lacrosse and beyond
- Williams Field High School junior Lindsay O'Driscoll finds time to help others
- Scottsdale Christian's Christina Clark has dreams, reality of helping others
- Golf, piloting and helping others are Brody Burnell's passions
- Teddy bear drive, speeches help Emery Miller inspire children to overcome adversity