Keonta Vernon finishes with 19 points as GCU beats Grambling State
PHOENIX — Keonta Vernon made all eight of his shots from the field and finished with 19 points in 23 minutes to help Grand Canyon beat Grambling State 87-53 on Saturday night.
Vernon was the first to be perfect from the field on eight-plus attempts since Grand Canyon transitioned to Division I in 2013 and the fourth in program history.
Joshua Braun added 13 points, Matt Jackson scored 12 and Shaq Carr had 11 for the Antelopes (6-2), who led by as many as 20 in the first half and 18 at the break. They held the Tigers without a field goal for over seven minutes in the second half and had their largest lead at 79-41 with 4:29 to go.
Jason Perry-Murray had 13 points and 12 rebounds and Ivy Smith Jr. added 12 for Grambling State (3-6).
The Tigers scored the opening basket, Grand Canyon’s Braun answered with a 3-pointer and the Antelopes led the rest of the way.
- Pineiro’s late 3s help San Diego edge Grand Canyon
- Alessandro Lever, Grand Canyon cruises past Mississippi Valley State
- Grand Canyon pulls away late, holds off Boise State
- GCU falls as South Dakota State wins nation-best 21st straight home game
- College basketball returns with heightened expectations for GCU