Hutchison leads Boise State over Grand Canyon in double overtime
BOISE, Idaho — Chandler Hutchison had 27 points and 11 rebounds, Christian Sengfelder scored six of his 12 points in double-overtime and Boise State beat Grand Canyon 85-80 on Wednesday night for its sixth straight win.
Sengfelder opened the second overtime with a layup and two free throws to give the Broncos a 73-69 lead, but Keonta Vernon’s 3-point play made it 73-72. Sengfelder answered with a jump shot to spark a 7-0 surge. Grand Canyon (7-3) pulled to 83-80 with 39 seconds left before Justinian Jessup made two free throws to seal it for Boise State (10-1).
Jessup finished with 18 points and Lexus Williams added 12 for Boise State.
Casey Benson scored 16 points and Vernon had 15 points and 12 rebounds to lead the Antelopes.
Grand Canyon used a 7-0 surge to break a 48-all tie and held the lead until Williams hit a 3-pointer with three seconds left to force overtime, 63-63. Benson scored four points in a 6-1 closing surge, but his 3-point attempt went in and out at the buzzer to end the first overtime tied at 69.
Hutchinson split two defenders and drove for a one-handed dunk, and finished the play with a free throw to tie the game at 41 with 13 minutes left in regulation. On the Broncos’ next possession, Hutchinson hit a jumper to surpass 1,000 points in his career.
It was the first meeting between the schools.
- GCU’s Dan Majerle explains his stance on declining Suns’ initial interest
- “I’m done with not making the playoffs”: Devin Booker looking for future success with team
- Rush Sam Bradford? No way, new Cardinals coach Steve Wilks says
- Boise State’s Leighton Vander Esch reportedly visiting Cardinals
- Help 98.7 FM producer Andy ‘Airtime’ Greenberg drive the D-backs’ cart